Storytelling With Photos
Photography is much more than getting that technically perfect photo. Don’t get me wrong, it is a good thing to get that exposure triangle in just the right balance so that you haven’t underexposed or overexposed your photo or created a blurry mess. But if that is all the photographer is concerned with, the viewer will miss out on the emotion of the moment.
Photography is a very personal and emotional activity and I would like to give you the tools and the inspiration you need to be a visual storyteller.
Free Consultation Calls
To schedule a free consultation call with me to talk about how I can help you meet your photographic goals, click below, and follow the prompts.
Instruction on My Blog
I will be posting to my blog once a week. My goal with these posts is to provide instruction and inspiration on the following topics:
- How to tell a story with your photos using multiple images
- How to capture one image that tells a story all by itself
- Basic instruction in iPhoneography (I’m sorry android users, I only have an iPhone!) that will enable you to take those photos that come up unexpectedly when all you have is your iPhone camera
- Using Depth of Field to capture a photo that really tells a story (aperture mode on your DSLR)
- Learning how to “freeze” the action to tell a story (using the shutter speed mode)
- Instruction on basic composition techniques that will really add emotion to your photos and make them more interesting
- Tips and tricks to get you out there taking photos! (Because really how else will you be able to tell your story?)
- Basic editing/post-processing techniques in Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, and/or Photoshop that will make your images pop!
- For those so inclined, I would love to share how I turn my photos into artistic images using textures, masking techniques, and compositing of many images to name a few
These are what I have come up with so far, and I know there are many others. If there is something in particular that you want to learn that will give you a vision for your photography or skills that will help you better tell your story, please take my survey in google docs!
e-Books and PDF's to Download
Many of the topics I mentioned that I will be posting on in my blog, could be summarized and created into e-Books/PDF’s that I would like to offer to my community. There is nothing like a cheat sheet to help you remember what you are learning! These will be offered in the coming months, so be watching for that.
For those who live close enough to me to get together in person, I would like to offer the opportunity to go out together on a Photo Adventure that would include personal instruction on any of the following topics:
- Basic DSLR techniques to get you out of shooting in auto mode only
- Basic iPhoneography techniques
- Developing your photographer’s eye
- Photo Walk
These coaching sessions would be tailored with your specific needs in mind and could last 1-, 2-, 3-hours, 1/2 day trips, or even be all-day trips. Here are my fees for these coaching sessions:
- $35 per hour
- $120 for half day (4 hours)
- $240 for all day (8 hours)
For those of you with whom I could not get together personally, there are digital tools we could use to have a personal video call together where I can coach you that way. I would also be able to teach editing/post-processing this way with you being able to see my screen and what I am doing in a photo-editing software. Oh…the wonders of technology today!
Online Photo Courses
My eventual goal would be to create and offer a course(s) that you would take online right here on my website! This will definitely be in the future and I will need your input to know exactly what you would want to learn. So drop me a line to let me know what you want to learn. You can also take my survey through Google Docs.
My goal is to be posting on Instagram at least once a day (and hopefully more) to get myself in the habit of taking photos: getting outside of “my box” and teaching myself new skills! Look for me on IG as paulajo58